Tender Mercies

Hello!

This past week there have been surprises around every corner, sometimes they have not been as pleasant as I would like, but nevertheless they have come.  I was reading this week a talk given by Elder Bednar on "Tender Mercies"  I believe the talk was given in 2005 but I am not sure.  He stated the following ......

"We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live. When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance (see 1 Ne. 1:20)"

As I read this, I thought of the times during the past year I have felt totally alone and yet during those times I cannot explain the tender mercies that have been poured down upon me at the very moment I was needing them.  I have often thought that tender mercies are found only in the scriptures or those who are in leadership positions, I know now that is not how the Lord works.  He provides tender mercies to all of us on an individual and personal basis.

I have a friend who is struggling right now. I have known him for 15 or 16 years.  We have both had a tough several years.  I didn't hear from him for several weeks and wondered what I may have done to upset or offend him.  So... I did the dumbest thing, I wrote a little message on facebook in which I thought he did not want to be friends anymore since I had not heard from him in a while..... then when I did not hear from him, I sent yet another brilliant message and he wrote me back.... This is where I learned the most valuable lesson.  He has been struggling with something very tender to his heart.  He has been sad and alone.  It hit me like a lead balloon, why hadn't I called him, I had been thinking of him, even praying of how I could help him... and I did not act upon those feelings.  Tender mercies were sent into my heart for him and I failed to follow through.  I love him very much, he is one of the kindest, funniest and loyal friends to have.  I am blessed to call him my friend.  My point to this personal story is this..... we are all given hard things to deal with in this life, some of them really hard! and yet we have each other and the tender mercies that the Savior willingly provides to us in our hour of need.  Through another person, a blessing, family etc.  He loves us and he wants us to be happy.  I have learned this week that I need to do more when I am prompted and thank the Lord for His tender mercies in my behalf and those that I love.

Well I am starting to sound like a conference talk, so I will hush.  I am thankful to you all, most of all I am thankful for the tender mercies that are each of us are given through every season in our lives...

Let's talk soon!
Karley

No comments:

Post a Comment